9.1 . Freedom from obligation ( is proclaimed ) from Allah and His messenger toward those of the idolaters with whom ye made a treaty :
9. 9.2 . Travel freely in the land four months , and know that ye cannot escape Allah and that Allah will confound the disbelievers ( in His guidance ) .
9. 9.3 . And a proclamation from Allah and His messenger to all men on the day of the Greater Pilgrimage that Allah is free from obligation to the idolaters , and ( so is ) His messenger . So , if ye repent , it will be better for you ; but if ye are averse , then know that ye cannot escape Allah . Give tidings ( O Muhammad ) of a painful doom to those who disbelieve .
9. 9.4 . Excepting those of the idolaters with whom ye ( Muslims ) have a treaty , and who have since abated nothing of your right nor have supported anyone against you . ( As for these ) , fulfill their treaty to them till their term . Lo! Allah loveth those who keep their duty ( unto Him ) .
9. 9.5 . Then , when the sacred months have passed , slay the idolaters wherever ye find them , and take them ( captive ) , and besiege them , and prepare for them each ambush . But if they repent and establish worship and pay the poor due , then leave their way free . Lo! Allah is Forgiving , Merciful .
9. 9.6 . And if anyone of the idolaters seeketh thy protection ( O Muhammad ) , then protect him so that he may hear the word of Allah ; and afterward convey him to his place of safety . That is because they are a folk who know not .
9. 9.7 . How can there be a treaty with Allah and with His messenger for the idolaters save those with whom ye made a treaty at the Inviolable Place of Worship? So long as they are true to you , be true to them . Lo! Allah loveth those who keep their duty .
9. 9.8 . How ( can there be any treaty for the others ) when , if they have the upper hand of you , they regard not pact nor honor in respect of you? They satisfy you with their mouths the while their hearts refuse . And most of them are wrong doers .
9. 9.9 . They have purchased with the revelations of Allah a little gain , so they debar ( men ) from His way . Lo! evil is that which they are wont to do .
9. 9.10 . And they observe toward a believer neither pact nor honor . These are they who are transgressors .